The Helios Regiment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Helios Regiment

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Book thread

Go down 
+3
Bitterbeard
Ertdorf
Arcadem
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Arcadem
lieutenant
lieutenant
Arcadem

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Book thread   Book thread EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Read anything recently which made an impact on you? Or some classics, or even some books which haven't gotten the sales or attention which they should deserve? Let's hear it. If you want to recommend some books or express your opinion about other books, this is the place.
Back to top Go down
Ertdorf
Ambassador
Ambassador

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Well, Harry Potter...

Last book I (re)read was the Princess Bride, which is epic, and everyone should read it, or at least watch the film.
Back to top Go down
Arcadem
lieutenant
lieutenant
Arcadem

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Well last book I've read was Eragon, while it still wasn't so popular and the film wasn't even an idea. But anyways, I don't like reading books, since I don't have much time, 'cause of studying and my books in colleague which I have to learn consist out of at least 500 pages each... really lose interest in books. So I do something more fun, hang around with friends, play games or just chill, when I have time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bitterbeard
Ambassador
Ambassador

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: The Flashman Papers   Book thread EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I would recommend this set of books without pause. From Flashman to Flashman and the Tiger, the books are simply hilarious and historically accurate. I'm currently reading the set for the third time having just put them down... something I've never done before. A great read and no mistake.
Back to top Go down
Ertdorf
Ambassador
Ambassador

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Flashman is pretty damn epic.

In a vaguely similar vein: Sharpe. An excellent series, as is most stuff by Bernard Cornwell.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes, and certainly Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy about Arthur, which I have to say is absolutely cracking stuff and definitely my favourite version of Arthurian legend. Ceinwyn's betrothal feast to Lancelot is a simply epic and awe inspiring set piece that weaves together so many parts: the guy getting the girl, the belief in magic even when if you read closely you can see how the magic is happening- wonderful stuff.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Totally add my vote to the Fraser and Cornwell suggestions... some of the best books I've read in the past few years. The anglo-saxon ones from Cornwell I took to over the Arthurian ones, but both were excellent reads. Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:44 pm

Derrik wrote:
Totally add my vote to the Fraser and Cornwell suggestions... some of the best books I've read in the past few years. The anglo-saxon ones from Cornwell I took to over the Arthurian ones, but both were excellent reads. Smile

The Anglo-Saxon ones are great, although I got the sense from Sword Song that he's not 100% sure where he's going with the story. It seemed to be going through the motions alittle, but the first three were excellent, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Manheim
Corporal
Corporal
Manheim

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 am

I'm flipping through the Moist Von Lupwig Books in the Discworld Series. I'm quite a fan of Terry Pratchett. I recently read a load of Chris Ryan books, which I wouldn't suggest to anyone. Ever.

I also read Eragon and then Eldest, which kind of ruined the story for me. I might take a look at the third one and see if it makes it better.

I still recall a book I read when I was quite a bit younger, called Slugs. These slugs had a desire to eat flesh, they were normal size but there was a lot of them. Don't read that book, burn it. It is evil. *Cry*
Back to top Go down
Kalekht
Corporal
Corporal
Kalekht

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Well well well, sorry to do this, but yes I am going to advertise myself and my book, well here. My name, well the one on my book, is Michael Evans, and the only novel I have out so far is 'The Children of Reckoning.' I'm really not going to bore you with details here as its a little unfair, but if you are interested I guess I can ask Furic kindly if i can have my own little thread to 'advertise.' Anyway google me or something - yes the myspace, bebo and facebook is mine, and if you do want to buy a copy i suggest going to authorhouse.com/.co.uk, as amazon and other shops charge a premium price because they have a middle man charge (damn them). Anyway, see you all in game!
Back to top Go down
Manheim
Corporal
Corporal
Manheim

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Super dooper super great, i'll take a look, i'm running short of books to read.
Back to top Go down
Ertheas
Cadet
Cadet

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Ok I'm quite a bookworm myself and here are some of my personal favourites.

The DUNE series, all 6 books. This is just THE best sci-fi series ever written, it's not so much hardcore sci-fi as it is a book about human posibilities with enormous debth.

ALL the Terry Pratchet books. I'm sure you've heard of them but if you haven't read em you're missing out. If you see someone laughing out loud in a public place while reading a book my bet is that he's reading one of his books. The Discworld series especialy.

Starship Troopers. If you liked the film you should read the book, if you didn't like the film, you should also read the book since it's nothing like the movie Very Happy

Ok, when I find the titles of some other books in english I'll post again.
Back to top Go down
Balin
Ambassador
Ambassador
Balin

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:05 am

I'm re-reading the Slayer series just now. (Can't wait till Altdorf reaches a sufficient level for Gotrek to turn up - prepare for hero worship).

I have to recommend Wilbur Smith as an author. His book Birds of Prey is my very favourite and the whole Courtneys in Africa series is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book thread   Book thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Book thread
Page 1 of 1